Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June 8, 2009

Dear Family,

Hello, hello from Jackson, Tennessee. I work in the west part of Jackson so they call our area “Jackson West”. Phew, it is getting hot and humid here. I am not a big fan of sweating and I am doing a lot of it. Our bike week just ended and boy, am I out of shape. It was good for me though, but my feet are kind of bothering me, just a little so the Zone Leaders are working on getting us full car. That would be such a blessing. But even if they don’t, it will still be good for me. Even if we do get full car, I will probably still ride my bike places because you can contact people easier outside on your bike, rather than in your car.

My companion is Elder Lyman. He is from Blanding, Utah. He is a nice kid. It might take a while to get used to him but I am not too worried about that. Elder Hansen (my previous companion) is training but he is waiting for his companion to come out of the MTC due to the swine flu outbreak. The missionaries should be coming out next week, I believe. I hope that they do for his sake.

So on the second day I was there, I got the call from the Zone Leaders that I was to be district leader over the missionaries in Jackson. I am kind of nervous because I have never been in leadership before and I don’t know if I really even want to but I will do it because I will do whatever the Lord requires of me. Our district consists of 4 missionaries: Myself, Elder Lyman, Elder Wilson (from Gilbert, AZ), and Elder Brand (Richfield, UT). Good district though but of course, there is always room for improvement for all of us.

Now, one of the duties of being a district leader is doing baptismal interviews. I have two to do tonight for the Jackson East Elders. I am kind of nervous for that as well because this will be my first time. I pray I do well and follow the spirit.

Sunday was good; I got to meet a lot of new people. This ward is huge. It covers about 3/10’s of Tennessee. It is huge! It covers the small little towns around it too. It has about 500-600 members. But only like 150-200 are active. There are a couple of black members here which is sweet! I actually met a member today in the library. Really nice guy.

This place may take a while to get used to because it is a big adjustment from Pocahontas. I will miss Pocahontas very much but the Lord needs me in Jackson. I am happy to serve here and I hope things go well. Thank you for the love, support and prayers you have given me in my behalf. I love y’all and miss y’all. Hope all is well at home.

Love,

Elder Parker

Hey, here are some pictures from the week. We went fishing and I found this sign in Jackson, Tennessee. It was pretty sweet! Hope you enjoy.

No comments: